Bangladesh/Myanmar: Rakhine Conflict 2017
Following a conflict situation on 25 August 2017 in Rakhine state, a massive influx of people crossed from Myanmar to Bangladesh. More than 507 000 people have moved to Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar (as of 3 October). The number of new arrivals has reduced substantially over the last week. Around 26 747 people in Myanmar have moved to temporary camps within the country.
Nepal Flood and Landslide (August-17)
August 2017, has resulted in flooding and landslides affecting 36 districts across the country.
As of 30 August, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) reported 160 deaths, 29 missing persons and 46 injuries. In addition, 20,888 families are displaced.
WHO has been continuously providing technical support and commodities in coordination with Ministry of Health. WHO and Ministry of Health has activated their respective Health Emergency Operation Centre (HEOC) for effective health sector response to the flood and landslide.
Sri Lanka Dengue Outbreak (June-17)
Sri Lanka is witnessing an increase in dengue cases this year. Over 100,000 cases have been reported, with a significant number from the western provinces.
Sri Lanka Floods (May-17)
Since 25 May 2017, heavy rainfall due to the southwest monsoon resulted in severe flooding and landslides affecting 15 out of 25 districts in Sri Lanka. As of 31 May, the government has declared a total of 604,713 people have been affected by the adverse weather conditions. The World Health Organization Country Office for Sri Lanka is working closely with the Government to provide critical healthcare services and support the country’s early recovery and response efforts.
New Book Releases
- WHO South-East Asia Regional and Country Office Emergency Readiness Trainings, 2017
- Regional Consultation for Networking and Coordination of Health Partners for Emergency Response; 28-29 November 2017, Bangkok, Thailand
- Regional Workshop on Strengthening Health Emergency Operations Centres (HEOCs) for Emergency Response, 6-8 November 2017, New Delhi, India
- Regional Meeting on Scaling-up Capacities in Emergency Risk Management in SEAR Countries, 2016
- Regional Meeting on Disaster Management in the Health Sector, Bangkok, Thailand, 6-8 June 2012.
- Second South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF) Working Group Meeting, Delhi, India, 23-24 August 2012.
Emergency and Humanitarian Action
World Health Organization
Regional Office of South-East Asia
Tel: 91-11-23370804 Ext. 26444
Fax: 91-11-23378438 (Direct)