WHO Bangladesh conducts staff emergency readiness training
WHO Bangladesh office conducted its emergency readiness training on 17-18 January in Dhaka. This is in line with the goal of the new WHO Health Emergencies Programme to strengthen the capacity of its country offices in responding to emergencies. The training was designed by the Emergency Operations unit of the WHO South-East Asia Regional Office to increase the knowledge and skills of the staff in readiness for any emergency/disaster. Bangladesh is known to have many hazards that could lead to disasters. During the two day training programme, WHO staff members were trained on the Emergency Response Framework (ERF), incident management system (IMS) functions and response planning (development of Business Continuity Plan and Contingency Plans). Resource persons came from the regional office and headquarters.
Bangladesh/Myanmar: Rakhine Conflict 2017
Following a conflict situation on 25 August 2017 in Rakhine state, a massive influx of people crossed from Myanmar to Bangladesh. More than 507 000 people have moved to Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar (as of 3 October). The number of new arrivals has reduced substantially over the last week. Around 26 747 people in Myanmar have moved to temporary camps within the country.
Nepal Flood and Landslide (August-17)
August 2017, has resulted in flooding and landslides affecting 36 districts across the country.
As of 30 August, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) reported 160 deaths, 29 missing persons and 46 injuries. In addition, 20,888 families are displaced.
WHO has been continuously providing technical support and commodities in coordination with Ministry of Health. WHO and Ministry of Health has activated their respective Health Emergency Operation Centre (HEOC) for effective health sector response to the flood and landslide.
Sri Lanka Dengue Outbreak (June-17)
Sri Lanka is witnessing an increase in dengue cases this year. Over 100,000 cases have been reported, with a significant number from the western provinces.
New Book Releases
- WHO South-East Asia Regional and Country Office Emergency Readiness Trainings, 2017
- Regional Consultation for Networking and Coordination of Health Partners for Emergency Response; 28-29 November 2017, Bangkok, Thailand
- Regional Workshop on Strengthening Health Emergency Operations Centres (HEOCs) for Emergency Response, 6-8 November 2017, New Delhi, India
- Regional Meeting on Scaling-up Capacities in Emergency Risk Management in SEAR Countries, 2016
- Regional Meeting on Disaster Management in the Health Sector, Bangkok, Thailand, 6-8 June 2012.
- Second South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF) Working Group Meeting, Delhi, India, 23-24 August 2012.
Emergency and Humanitarian Action
World Health Organization
Regional Office of South-East Asia
Tel: 91-11-23370804 Ext. 26444
Fax: 91-11-23378438 (Direct)