The objectives of the regional traditional medicine (TM) programme are to support countries in:
- Including TM/herbal medicine (HM) in national health care systems, as appropriate, by developing and implementing national TM and herbal medicine (HM) policies and programmes.
- Promoting the safety, efficacy and quality of TM/HM by expanding the knowledge-base on TM/HM, and by providing guidance on regulatory and quality assurance standards.
- Increasing the availability and affordability of TM/HM, as appropriate, with an emphasis on access to those who depend on them either by choice or necessity.
- Promoting therapeutically sound use of appropriate TM/HM by providers and consumers; and
- Promoting and upgrading the knowledge and skill of TM/HM providers to ensure patient safety.