- Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes.
- People with Zika virus disease usually have a mild fever, skin rash (exanthema) and conjunctivitis. These symptoms normally last for 2-7 days.
- There is no specific treatment or vaccine currently available.
- The best form of prevention is protection against mosquito bites.
- The virus is known to circulate in Africa, Americas, Asia and the Pacific.
- About Zika virus and complications
- Zika virus disease: Questions and answers
- Health Topic: Zika virus
- WHO calls for preventive measures against Zika virus disease
- Q&A: Women in the context of microcephaly and Zika virus disease
- Risk communication for Zika virus disease
- Travel advice
- Situation reports
Epidemiologist Erika Garcia provides more information about Zika virus disease