Prevention and control of Communicable Diseases
EPI and Polio
Acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) surveillance system for polio eradication was established in 1996 in Myanmar. There are seventeen regional surveillance officers in each state and division and three coordinators with support staff in centre. Measles and neonatal tetanus surveillance was integrated with AFP surveillance in 1999. Expanded programme on immunization (EPI) and polio eradication network assists the Ministry of Health in: surveillance:
- assisting in AFP surveillance which includes reporting, investigation, and sample collection, transportation of sample to lab in Yangon and follow-up of all AFP cases.
- assisting in reporting, investigation, sample collection, transportation of sample to lab of all measles outbreaks.
- assisting in reporting and investigation of neonatal tetanus cases.
- assisting in investigation of other vaccine preventable disease outbreaks.
- assisting in surveillance of avian influenza.
- assisting in capacity building of health staff through trainings and workshop locally and abroad.
- assisting in planning, training, supervision and monitoring, logistic support and financial support in conduction of supplementary immunization activities.
- assisting in development of training materials, guidelines, plan of action, trainings, supervision and monitoring, technical support in strengthening routine immunization.
- assisting in planning, implementation, training, development of guideline, training materials, supervision and monitoring of measles and tetanus campaigns.
- assisting in vaccine management.
- assisting in measles mortality reduction.