World AIDS Day 2018 Observed
On 1 December 2018, WHO - Country Office for Nepal - will join partners to commemorate World AIDS Day under the theme “Know Your Status”. This will also be an occasion to celebrate the 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day – a pioneering global health campaign first initiated by WHO in 1988.
The day aim to achieve the following objectives:
1. Urge people to know their HIV infection status through testing, and to access HIV prevention, treatment and care services;
2. Urge policy-makers to promote a “health for all” agenda for HIV and related health services, such as tuberculosis (TB), hepatitis and noncommunicable diseases.
The day was jointly observed by WHO Country Office for Nepal, the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), high-level dignitaries from the Ministry, and national and international partners, at National Centre for AIDS and STI Control (NCASC), Teku. It was an opportunity for partners to unite in the fight against HIV, to show support for people living with HIV, and to commemorate those who have died from an AIDS-related illness. Testing booths were also set up in many places around Kathmandu Valley to encourage people to know their HIV status and receive treatment. Blood donation programs were also put up in various locations, while free lube and condoms were also distributed.
Moreover, with sports as a medium to spread awareness of HIV/AIDS, the United Nations Nepal, the World Health Organization (WHO) and Trail Running Nepal jointly commemorated the 30th World Aids Day urging people to adopt a healthy lifestyle and scale up testing for HIV. More than 250 people participated in the trail race running or walking the distances of either 7km or 12km showing solidarity with people living with HIV/AIDS and promoting the message to scale up testing for HIV. The run was a part of Kathmandu Trail Race Series- a short distance race- organized by Trail Running Nepal every month.
For more information
- - Update: Government of Nepal Strengthens Unity Against HIV/AIDS
- 30th World Aids Day Marked in Kathmandu Urging People to Scale-Up Testing For HIV
- Accelerate progress against HIV/AIDS by making quality testing accessible to all
- - Know more about WAD30
- - About the Campaign
- - Why the HIV epidemic is not over
- - Key Facts on HIV/AIDS
- - Video: World AIDS Day