World TB Day 2016
In 2016 the United Nations has adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) providing a new development framework for 2016-2030, replacing the 2000-2015 Millennium Development Goal (MDG) framework. Under Goal 3 of the SDGs specifically pertaining to health, target 3.3 states- By 2030, end the epidemics of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected tropical diseases, combat hepatitis, waterborne and other communicable diseases.
The WHO South-East Asia Region is home to 26% of the world’s population, but accounts for 46% of the global burden of TB incidence. In the Region in 2015 TB incidence was estimated around 4.7 million. Eliminating the disease in the Region is critical to ending the global TB epidemic.
Addressing the determinants of TB such as poverty and direct risk factors e.g, overcrowding and poorly ventilated living and working environment have to be shared by all stakeholders. Eliminating TB should take significant effort and requires effective operationalization of the END TB Strategy that includes political commitment, better financing system, universal access to high quality care, and poverty reduction strategies.
TB burden, 2015
46%The proportion of the global TB incidence in the RegionRefer to Pie chart
TB Mortality, 2015
710 000 TB deaths
and additional 74 000 deaths from TB-HIV coinfection in the Region
MDR/RR-TB incidence, 2015
34%The proportion of global estimates multidrug-resistant/rifampicin-resistant new cases from the RegionRefer to SEAR TB Annual Report 2016
- Global tuberculosis report 2016
- Bending the Curve - TB in the WHO South-East Asia Region
- Regional Strategic Plan 2016-2020 [pdf 2.43Mb]
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis [pdf 511kb]
- South-East Asia Regional Technical Working Group on Tuberculosis [pdf 575kb]
- Regional framework for advocacy, communication and social mobilization
- National TB control programme managers and partners : Report of the meeting
- The South East Asia Regional Response Plan for Drug Resistant TB care and control 2011-2015
- Advisory Committee on MDR-TB (rGLC) SEAR 2012-2014
- Updated Regional Strategic Plan for TB Care and Control 2012-2015 [pdf 1.46Mb]