Mental health status of adolescents in South-East Asia: Evidence for action
This publication provides evidence from nationally representative school health surveys, implemented as part of the Global School-based Student Health Survey Initiative, on prevalence of self-reported suicidal behaviours and other warning signs of mental health problems.
Intercountry consultation on alternative livelihoods for tobacco farmers and workers
The Intercountry Consultation on Alternative Livelihoods for Tobacco Farmers and Workers was held at Colombo, Sri Lanka on 27-28 March, 2017. The consultation was inaugurated by Dr. Rajitha Senaratne , Hon’ble Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine, Sri Lanka. Dr. Jerry Jayawardena (Chairman Council for Agricultural Research Policy) represented the Hon’ble Minister of Agriculture.
World No Tobacco Day 2017 awards
Theme: Tobacco – a threat to development
Call for nominations
The World Health Organization (WHO) is calling for nominations to the World No Tobacco Day Awards of individuals or organizations in each of the six WHO Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
New report: Tobacco control can save billions of dollars and millions of lives
10 January 2017 -- Policies to control tobacco use, including tobacco tax and price increases, can generate significant government revenues for health and development work, according to The economics of tobacco and tobacco control from WHO and the National Cancer Institute of the United States of America. Such measures can also greatly reduce tobacco use and protect people’s health from the world’s leading killers, like cancers and heart disease. But left unchecked, the tobacco industry and the deadly impact of its products cost the world’s economies more than US$ 1 trillion annually in healthcare expenditures and lost productivity.
- 7th session of the COP to the WHO FCTC, 7-12 November,2016, Noida, India
- Joint Regional Workshop for the 7th Session of the COP to WHO-FCTC
- WHO supports Training of Trainers on tobacco cessation
- Timor-Leste PM gets WHO award
- WHO and Ministry of Health launch Anti-Tobacco Campaign in Timor
- "Smoking Kills" the message delivered by WHO and Ministry of Health [pdf 573kb]
- Nepal’s initiative to use pictorial warnings on tobacco packages will save lives: WHO
- Magistrates get trained on amended tobacco control law
- Bangladesh-National Tobaco law amended
- Thailand - New regulations on graphic health warnings introduced
- Thailand - Court decision paves the way to the resizing of graphic health warnings